Sunday, March 3, 2013

The trouble with moving

During the 8 years that I have been a parent, our family has made three major moves.  It's normal to the kids, and they know that another move could come any time.   Some days it's just our life and it's exciting and okay.  Some days we hate it.

Here's what I've figured out about moving that I didn't know until recently.  I fall in love with my kids' friends and leaving them behind is harder than leaving my own friends.  And not just because it hurts my kids.

Let me explain.  When I go a month, or a year, or even several years without seeing my friends (and  I have wonderful friends all over the world that I don't get to see nearly often enough)  we can pick up right where we left off.  A year isn't so very long when you're 34.  When you're 2, now that is a different story!

It really hit me this weekend that it has been nearly three years since our last move when our precious friends from Florida came for a visit.  They had changed so much!  Zadie's friend JoJo was 2 when we left- chubby faced and silly.  Now she's 5!  Long legged and funny, smart and curious.  And the boys!  Tall and independent, capable and cool.  I've missed too much!  It's not fair!

The beautiful part is how they pick up right where they left off.  They don't grieve the lost years; they treasure the rare moments together.  They laugh and have adventures and play dress up and make memories.  And I take pictures and pictures and pictures and beg them not to change too much before their next visit.








We better make that very soon!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry... ;) Geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally brought tears to my eyes. That's gotta be so hard! I believe that God will never be outdone in generosity. I pray He outdoes your generosity of going where He calls by giving you and your kiddos many new friends where you are headed!:)

    ReplyDelete