Friday, December 6, 2013

Hope

As I was uploading these pictures from Sunday's Hanging of the Greens service, I got to thinking about how much I love this time of year.  Apparently, I really enjoy waiting.  I must.  Otherwise I wouldn't prefer Advent to Christmas and Lent to Easter.  What is it about waiting for good things that makes them all the more special? 



No matter how beautiful things are in the here and now, there's just reality.  Looking to the future, there's always more.  There's always the hope of a more perfect tomorrow.


I like the waiting.  The waiting for the joy of Christmas.  The waiting for the coming of the Christ child.  The hope of what transformation awaits us upon his arrival.


I like sitting watch.  Finding a still place by the fire to pass the time together.


I like pulling the dusty greens and bows from the attic, fluffing them up and giving them new life.


I like the songs of the season.  Singing People Look East  and remembering all the Advents that have passed and all the people I have sung these songs with through the years.


I love watching the children as they whisper to each other about all their Christmas wishes.


I love the lights and the homemade ornaments and the chance to tell my children about the stable and the shepherds and the wise men and about the power of God to transform even the most common among us into something beautiful.


Wishing you a magical, hopeful, joy-filled Advent and a very merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment