Sunday, June 2, 2013

Champions

Baseball season is over.  I feel like a cab driver with no fare... like a laundry maid with no grubby socks to scrub.  Like a proud mama with no team to cheer for.  


What a season.  What a sweet bunch of 7 & 8 year old boys.  I wish I could take them all home with me.  Well, maybe not all at the same time.

To say they had a rough start might not convey the month of April.  Out of 15 regular season games, they won 3 (none in April).  I wouldn't trade a minute of it.  They worked so hard and encouraged each other so faithfully.  They entered the tournament last Tuesday in last place, and I don't know about the other boys, but my Andy was confident that they would win it all.   


They did.


After two upset victories during the week, they went into the last day of the tournament one of two undefeated teams.  I for one, did not see that coming.  I knew we were in for a long day, but I didn't know it would end like this! 


Four games.  I'm new to this baseball thing, but I just didn't believe we'd play four games.  Surely, I said, when we don't have a winner (this is a double elimination tournament) by 8 pm, they'll send these kids home to rest and get ready to play another day.  I was wrong.  


At 8:30, after three games, 9 hours and a lightening delay, we set out to play the Rockies for the third time that day.  Our boys were running on power aid and dreams.  


This was a victory 22 games in the making.  Endless hours of practice and 11 little boys who will never forget the year they went from last place to tournament champions.


I couldn't be any prouder if they had just won the world series.  


I Love my Red Sox!  


Did I mention that Andy hit his first home run?  Oh, he made his share of errors, too, but his teammates were there to back him up.  What an amazing day.    




2 comments:

  1. Love this! Great way to encapsulate this story. What an amazingly uplifting experience for our sweet boys AND all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful memory for these sweet boys that didn't give up! Congrats to Andy!

    ReplyDelete